Portas Pilot scheme bid
IntroductionCllr Sam Corcoran has been the lead town councillor in putting together an application for Sandbach to become a Portas Pilot Market town. Hundreds of other towns across the country have also applied for funding. Details of the bid can be viewed in the files below.
BackgroundIn 2011, retail adviser Mary Portas was asked by the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister to conduct an independent review into the state of our high streets and town centres.
The resulting Portas Review was published in December 2011. The Review helps identify what the Government, local authorities, businesses and others can do together to promote the development of new models of prosperous and diverse high streets.
Portas Pilot OpportunityIn February 2012, the Government offered local partnerships the opportunity to become Portas Pilot areas to test the 'Town Team' approach and pilot some of the other ideas and recommendations set out in the Mary Portas Review. Local partnerships may bid for a share of £1 million.
Sandbach Town Council BidThe files below detail the Council's bid.
All documents are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.
- STC Portas Pilot Application (PDF)
- Cheshire East letter of support (PDF)
- Fiona Bruce M.P. letter of support (PDF)
- Sandbach Partnership letter of support (PDF)
- STAR support to STC (PDF)
- STC letter of support.pdf (PDF)
- Waitrose email of support (PDF)
- The Portas Review: An independent review into the future of our high streets (13 December 2011)
- Portas Pilots: Prospectus - an invitation to become a Town Team (4 February 2012)
- Mary Portas Government appointment and Pilot Towns, on Wikipedia