Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 7th September 2011
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 7th September 2011
AT SANDBACH ENTERPRISE CENTRE , WESLEY AVENUE
PRESENT: : Cllr Barry Moran, Cllr Gill Merry, Keith Castree, Dot Flint, Larry Sharps, Carol Williams, Will Goodall, Elaine Kelly, Pete Nacson, Jayne & Peter Firman, Abu & Nurul (The Ganges) APOLOGIES: Carolyn Lowe, Dave Skeels, Jim & Liz (Lower Chequer)
- Acceptance of previous Minutes (10th August 2011) moved as correct Peter Nacson
- Matters arising from last meeting: Larry has written to Fiona Bruce MP regarding lack of reply to our correspondence on Alfresco licence charges by Cheshire East Councillor Menlove. Fiona Bruce MP has since written to say she will take this up with Erika Wenzel, Chief Executive of CEC.
- Treasurers report: We have 3 new members joined since last meeting. Welcome to Elaine Kelly from Dans le Vent, Abu & Nurul from The Ganges and Ashley Gaunt manager of Waitrose. Balance in bank £653.65
- S.T.C. report: Carolyn was unable to attend but Gill Merry updated on Christmas Street Market & Late night shopping evening on Friday 2nd December. Organised so far are: Music and Choirs singing and playing in the Market Square and outside Town Hall, Santa’s Grotto within St. Luke’s Hospice Christmas Double Decker Bus, Hog Roast and Mulled Wine, Town Crier. Dancers and other attractions planned. Stall Holders Festive Costume Competition.
- Love Local Life Loyalty scheme: A presentation outlining advantages/benefits to the town and costs involved needs to be put together for Town council before they are asked to look at a grant. Grant application to be in by 26th September. Grant could potentially be considered on 6th October by STC. Action Keith and Pete with assistance from Mandy.
Presentation to councillors to be arranged. Action Barry Moran
- STAR annual membership renewal: STAR has no income other than that raised by new members joining; therefore we are constricted in what we can fund with a lack of money. Will Goodall proposed a £20 annual renewal fee payable on the 1st March. This was seconded by Jayne Firman. A vote was taken, all in favour so motion passed. Renewal fee will be payable 1st March 2012 except for businesses that have joined within the last 12 months.
- Benchmarking: a benchmarking survey was undertaken last year by CEC on Sandbach town centre but some of the data was skewed. This year Dot and Sue from Sandbach Partnership together with 2 trained volunteers will be around the town for 4 days mid September asking questions on issues such as parking, travelling and shopping in Sandbach. A questionnaire on business confidence will be emailed to Sandbach businesses. STAR welcomes Cheshire East Councils activity on this as the benchmarking process can be used year on year to help build data on how well the town is doing and help flag up any deficiencies.
- Correspondence: Organizers Lynn Purcell and Ray Archer have emailed their thanks to all STAR members who displayed publicity, put on special offers, donated raffle prizes and helped with sponsorship for the Sandbach Day of Dance. It was a huge success and will hopefully become an annual event.
- A.O.B: Carolyn Lowe Sandbach town plan steering group leader (shops and commerce) would appreciate immediate help with analysis of questionnaires. Action Larry Sharps
Reminder that Christmas Light switch on will be Saturday 19th November at 5 p.m.
Next meeting... Tuesday 25th October, 2011. 5.30 p.m. at SECE
Meeting closed 8.10 p.m.