Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 7th July 2010
7 July 2010
|(Adobe Acrobat PDF format)|
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 7th July 2010. 5.30 P.M.
AT SANDBACH ENTERPRISE CENTRE, WESLEY AVENUE
|Keith Castree (The Furniture Gallery)||Sarah Ellershaw (Burnell's Ltd)|
|Cllr Carolyn Lowe||Ian Tresman (Knowledge computing)|
|Ruth Hindson (Creature Comforts)||Lizzie Taylor (Strawberry Fields)|
|Nigel Howard (The Furniture Gallery)||Larry Sharps (SECE)|
|Hazel Warr (La Casa Vecchia)||Carol Williams (Godfrey C. Williams & Son) Cllr Gill Merry|
|Graham Bradford||Dot Flint (Sandbach Partnership)|
|Jen Kessey (Good Taste Cake Design)||Bits & PC’s|
|Reg Shallcross||Cllr Barry Moran|
- A number of people had spoken to members at the band event on the Square on 26th June and gave positive comments and had enjoyed the music. The only negative feedback was that it had not been advertised well enough.
- Nigel and Keith have put in a programme of events and associated costs into David McGifford at CEC and are awaiting his reply. Silk FM radio are meeting with them to discuss the Christmas light switch on on November 20th as they would like to cover it. They would also bring a lot of extra promotion into whatever else the CEC grant would pay for.
- We have a website up and running thanks to Ian Tresman. Please visit www.sandbach-star.org.uk and take a look. There is some information about retailers, if you have a website and would like it linking please visit the site and email your website details to Ian. It has been suggested that Sandbach should be made a Wi Fi Free town. Ian to contact Will Goodall to progress this.
- Currently 36 members but we need more. If every member could talk to one of their neighbouring businesses and try and persuade them to join.
- Cllr Carolyn Lowe spoke about the proposed Town Guide. This would be a walking guide around the town visiting sites of historical interest with information at each site. Eileen Thompson from the History Society will help with the information. There are already some plaques at some sites around Sandbach which were put in place by the Rotary Club. Carolyn asked for a small working party to get together and help prepare editorial copy. Nigel, Keith and Hazel offered to help. Also within the booklet would be advertisements from local businesses; this is being organized by an outside agency but because of their high prices there do not appear to have been many takers.
- Cllr Lowe also spoke about the Sandbach Town Plan. There is to be a meeting at Sandbach Town Hall on Tuesday 20th July 2010 at 7 p.m. to which everyone is invited. If a town has a plan the local authority will give serious consideration and take account of the plan in its own planning decisions. Every town requires a plan looking forward as to what the town needs and how it should look 10 years on. Steering groups, town councillors and the Sandbach Partnership have all been involved in focus group meetings but to move the Plan forward more people/businesses need to get involved. Please tell people about the meeting and encourage them to have their say on what they want for the town.
- Another band event has been planned for the Square on Saturday 24th July. The Midnight Pilgrims a local band playing American good time covers will be playing 12 – 3 p.m. The Brereton handbell ringers cannot now play as too many are on holiday. Hopefully the childrens playbus will also be parked on the Square. We need more marshals to volunteer for up to an hour – this involves sitting on the Square, hopefully in the sun, watching the proceedings. If anyone would like to take a First Aid course the CDVA at Mirion Street, Crewe are running one on 26th July 10 – 1 p.m. at cost of £23.00 For more details email dotflint [at] aol [dot] com A competition organised by Ruth and Lizzie based on a Treasure Hunt around the town will be launched on the 24th July. Competition forms will be available from Strawberry Fields and Creature Comforts and the competition will run for the duration of the summer holidays.
- A Craft Fair is being organised for Saturday 28th August 10 am – 3 pm by Cllr Carolyn Lowe in partnership with CEC who will provide the stalls. It is envisaged there would be 20 stalls on the Cobbled Square and a further 20 stalls up the High Street. This would require a temporary road closure which will be applied for by Carolyn. An activity area where people can get hands on to be organised by Lizzie. If anyone knows of someone with a craft who might like a stall please email carolyndlowe [at] gmail [dot] com Ian will contact various websites and get them to put the event details on their what’s on page.
- Fodens Band Concert 12th September 12 – 8.00 p.m. on Square organised by CEC. Rhythm Time a childrens group has also been booked. Are businesses willing to open up? Are pubs and restaurants nearby available to serve food?
- Marketing group item deferred to next meeting.
- Cllr Merry suggested that businesses with issues such as pigeon problem speak to a Cheshire East Councillor.
- AOB. Carolyn offered to contact agents for empty shops in order to put some Shop Local signs inside. Keith has already contacted some: Ethel Austin do not want anything in their window. Ellie Louise shop has had terms agreed and Bakery in Penda Way is under offer.
Next meeting Tuesday 3rd August 2010 at 5.30 p.m. at SECE.