Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 25th June 2012
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 25th June 2012. 6.30 p.m.
WAITROSE CAFE, SANDBACH
|Larry Sharps||Vice chair|
|Dot Flint||Sandbach Partnership|
|Ray Masson||Waitrose Manager|
|Brenda Naylor||Millgate House Education|
|Mario Lanza||Sandbach Carpet Centre|
|Shaun Lomas||BEST in computers & Sandbach Market rep|
|Simon Raj||Price City|
|Christa Atwood||Expose to Connections|
|Jim Mason||The Lower Chequer|
|Amanda Wagg||Town Centre manager|
|Gill Merry||CEC & Sandbach Town councillor|
|Barry Moran||CEC & Sandbach Town councillor|
|Carolyn Lowe||Sandbach Town councillor|
- Apologies: Matt Hooson (Sandbach Round Table), Luke Kendall (Brook Chimney House manager), Hazel Warr (Treasurer), David McGifford (CEC regeneration )
- Acceptance of previous Minutes (13th June 2012) proposed as correct Larry Sharps, seconded Shaun Lomas. No matters arising
- Chairman’s report EK welcomed everyone and commented on the large turnout. EK and CW went to the Mayor’s Garden Party, a beautiful afternoon raising funds for Sandbach Girl Guiding and North West Air Ambulance. EK also attended the Sandbach Partnership Forum which was very interesting with the wealth of volunteer groups that were there. EK proposes we invite a guest speaker every month to our meetings and we work to form an alliance with volunteer groups such as Friends of Sandbach Park, Sandbach in Bloom, Sandbach Fair-trade. EK proposed we support annually a nominated local charity in either time or monies.
- Treasurer’s report No report as Hazel not present but CW reported we have 4 new members: Millgate House Educational Ltd, Essence & Farrah Hair & Beauty, Expose to Connections and Brook Chimney House Hotel.
- Introduction of Sandbach Town Centre manager - Amanda Wagg who will be working on marketing Sandbach and raising its profile outside of the area. Amanda has visited Alvaston Hall Hotel to recommend Sandbach as a town to visit. Is compiling a trader database and will be working on a questionnaire. Follow Amanda on twitter tcmsandbach. If any traders need help joining twitter please speak to Amanda
- Explanation of Planning Procedures to be held at a future date
- Old Mill Quarter Development update the majority of members at the extraordinary meeting on 18/7/12 were against the development. Muller Property has offered to give a presentation of the plans to STAR. A unanimous vote agreed they be invited. Action CW to contact Ben Pilgrim to arrange meeting
SL commented that although percentage of empty shops in town is low there is not enough variety. CL suggested we look at independent traders in the local area with type of offering we would like in Sandbach and invite them to come and open another business in Sandbach. DF proposed we should put together a welcome pack to give to new businesses that open in town. ML commented that town is difficult to access; we need to make it easier to access as easy access is what will encourage people to the new development.
- Membership/recruitment evening at Waitrose RM surprised at low turnout for STAR meetings and has offered to hold an evening where members and prospective new members can meet and chat over food and drink provided by Waitrose’s specialist departments. Date arranged for Wednesday 3rd October 6.30 p.m. Action CW Invite members/Press release. Confirm numbers to Ray by 26.9.12
- Correspondence None received
- EK proposed a Mission Statement and objectives be adopted by STAR. A draft version has been sent out by separate email and your comments/constructive criticism is invited Action ALL by 1 September to Secretary
- EK proposed we set up twitter and facebook and calendar of events diary Action EK/Ian Tresman
- EK proposed we send a speaker from STAR to one of the networking events held at the Brook Chimney House Hotel rather than hold our own networking event. Action EK speak to Luke/Stephanie at Brook CH
- DF said that benchmarking results from Sept 2011 were now ready and that David McGifford would give a presentation if we wanted div class="actionright">Action DF invite DMcG
- DF said Sandbach Today being held at St Marys Church Hall on Saturday 15th September 9.30 a.m. – 1.00 p.m. Admission free. An event to promote voluntary groups and for the first time, small businesses that make/produce goods and sell to public
- Formalisation of CEC representative on STAR. Action EK to speak to BM and GM
- Feedback on the email circulated about Late night opening in the run up to Christmas- Shaun and Kay Williams said Market hall would stay open. Creature comforts, The Real Thing, Godfrey Williams deli, Waitrose would be open. Thursday 6th,13th and 20th till 7.00 p.m. suggested dates Action CW speak to CL re advertising
- NB Light switch on will be on Sunday 25th November 2 – 7 p.m. and Late night shopping & Christmas Market Friday 30th November 4 – 7 p.m.
- EK proposed a Mission Statement and objectives be adopted by STAR. A draft version has been sent out by separate email and your comments/constructive criticism is invited
Meeting closed 7.59 p.m.