Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 16th January 2013
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 16th January 2013
AT S.E.C.E., WESLEY AVENUE
|Larry Sharps||Vice chair|
|Shaun Lomas||Sandbach Market Rep|
|Amanda Wagg||Town centre manager|
|Maggie||The Lion Manager|
|Lisa Hamlet||McDonalds manager|
- Apologies: Cllr Barry Moran, Cllr Carolyn Lowe, Hazel Warr, Dot Flint, Christa Atwood, Peter Firman
- Acceptance of previous Minutes (17th October 2012) proposed as correct Carol Williams seconded Larry Sharps.
- Matters arising: no matters arising
- Vice Chairman’s report: Although the empty shop % is low in Sandbach compared with the national average, Larry stressed that we need to engage better with businesses to gather new ideas and suggestions for improving the town and increasing footfall. A leaflet/newsletter was suggested to promote STAR and its aims as not everyone has access to the website. Amanda offered assistance with this.
- Treasurer’s report: Hazel not present but balance at bank £1153.65
Town Centre manager report Amanda reported that she is using the 5000+ entries in the Christmas Draw competition to analyse how /where people come from and will use the results to target advertising and market Sandbach. 23 businesses who took part in the Draw were surveyed with largely positive feedback.
The Portas Bid was not successful but Sandbach has been awarded a substantial grant of £10K from Portas follow up funding. A Town team has been tasked with finding the best way of spending this money. Local businesses are asked for their input and there will be a meeting at 6 p.m. on Wednesday 13th February (straight after the next STAR meeting) Please come and have your say.
An investment brochure to encourage new investors/businesses to come to Sandbach is to be produced using data from the most recent National Census
- Correspondence: A thank you letter has been received from Elaine Kelly for token gift on her departure as Chairman
- A.O.B. Shaun had attended the Christmas Lights committee meeting and reported that this year the light switch on would be on Saturday 30th November. A letter was emailed to Kim Ryley, Chief Executive CEC on 26/11/12 formally requesting Cllr Barry Moran be allowed to sit on our committee as a representative of CEC. No reply received to date.
Next meeting Wednesday 13th February 2013. 5.30 p.m. at Sandbach Literary Institute
Followed by Town Team meeting at 6 p.m.