Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 13th February 2013
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 13th February 2013. 5.30 p.m
AT Sandbach Literary Institute
|Hazel Warr||Treasurer||Amanda Wagg||Town centre manager|
|Carol Williams||Secretary||Carolyn Lowe||STC council representative|
|Shaun Lomas||Market Rep||Barry Moran||CEC councillor|
|Jim Mason||Lower Chequer||Gill Merry||CEC councillor|
- Apologies: Larry Sharps, Maggie (The Lion), Lisa Hamlet (McDonalds) , Ashley Gaunt (Waitrose), Dot Flint
- Acceptance of previous Minutes (16th January 2013) proposed as correct Amanda Wagg seconded Shaun Lomas
Matters arising Correspondence has been received from CEC re the request for Cllr Barry Moran to sit on our committee.
CW to fill in and return form
STAR Ideas for future AW suggested producing list of past achievements highlighting what we have done and use it to inform businesses/members in a newsletter
Action CW HW AW
Treasurer’s report Barclays are still sending statements to previous treasurer despite new mandate being filled in several months ago. BM suggested lodging formal complaint about time taken to alter address
Town Centre manager report
- Amanda has used horsemeat scandal as opportunity to issue press release promoting shopping local.
- A free standing PA system has been purchased for use in the town centre
- A surgery will be held so businesses can meet with TC
- Looking into costs of using a smart TV with USB and power point document as advertising/marketing/news tool in the market hall
Town Council Representative report
- The Assets and Services Committee of Sandbach Town Council agreed on 7th February to progress the movement of the Thursday Charter Market to the Cobbles & High Street, thereby freeing up The Common for parking. The High St would remain open but with traffic calming measures. The disabled parking bays in front of Price city would be unavailable on Thursdays but additional bays would be created elsewhere. A period of consultation with market traders/businesses/disability groups will shortly be taking place. A short questionnaire will also be delivered to businesses shortly, it would be appreciated if you could fill this in when requested. Timescales are about 6 months as a Traffic Regulation Order will be required at a cost of £3000-6000.
- Recent research carried out by an intern has shown a 300% increase in footfall in Sandbach on Farmers Market Saturdays, therefore a new market will be held on the 4th Saturday in the month commencing 27th April to accent local products. Your support would be appreciated when Carolyn Lowe brings round posters/leaflets to advertise “The Sandbach Crosses Market”
CL pointed out that 30th November switch on date would mean that the Christmas Lights would be on for only 3 shopping weeks prior to Christmas. In the past the lights have been on for 5 weeks and in some years for 4 weeks. The Christmas lights committee have agreed to look into an earlier switch on date.
Action CW to write to G. Alcock
- Membership renewal membership fees of only £20 are due on 1st April.
- Correspondence none received
AOB members to be invited to stand for office see date for AGM below
Action CW to email members
Meeting closed 6.35 p.m.
Next meeting will be Annual General Meeting
on Tuesday 26th March 2013. 5.30 p.m.
Sandbach Literary Institute