Minutes of STAR Meeting: Wednesday 12th September 2012
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Wednesday 12th September 2012. 6.30 p.m.
Sandbach Town Hall
|Larry Sharps||Vice chair|
|Reg Shallcross||Hon. President|
|Dot Flint||Sandbach Partnership|
|Brenda & Stuart Naylor||Millgate House Education|
|Peter & Jayne Firman||Guardian Accountancy|
|Christa Atwood||Expose to Connections|
|Jim Mason||The Lower Chequer|
|Amanda Wagg||Town Centre manager|
|Barry Moran||CEC & Sandbach Town councillor|
|Colin Muller & Carl Davey||Muller Properties|
|Steve Allan||Stop the Old Mill Quarter Retail Park Campaign group|
5.Apologies: Waitrose managers Ray Masson & Ashley Gaunt, Cllr Gill Merry, Cllr Carolyn Lowe,
- A presentation followed by a question and answer session was given by Muller Properties on the Old Mill Quarter Retail Park development; the previous presentation on the 14th August 2012 being postponed due to Elaine being taken ill during the meeting. Their presentation mainly concentrated on the results of a Retail impact survey carried out by NEMS. 600 Sandbach residents were surveyed with 51% doing their main weekly shop in town, the national average for similar size towns is 85%. Sandbach is therefore losing out on £19million of lost business (food) and £63.6 million lost business (non food) per year. Muller’s £40 million investment, they claim will stem this loss; with the Supermarket, Garden Centre, Hotel/Pub, Petrol station, drive thru takeaways and 800+ free car parking spaces helping to keep people shopping locally.
- Muller Properties departed and a further short talk was given by Steve Allan Chairman of Stop Old Mill Quarter Campaign, a resident of Palmer Road and against the development because of the traffic chaos, destruction of green field sites and devastation to our historic market town. He handed out a leaflet which urged businesses to visit their website www.stopoldmillquarter.co.uk and to write to CEC planning officer to object to the plans. Closing date for objections 3rd October 2012 quoting case 12/3329. Further details can be found on the above website or http://planning.cheshireastgov.uk/applicationdetails.aspx?pr=12/3329C. On Monday 17th September at 7 p.m. at Literary Institute there will be a STC planning meeting where businesses can also make their views known
- Acceptance of previous Minutes (25th July 2012) proposed as correct Elaine Kelly seconded Larry Sharps. No matters arising
- Chairman’s report a facebook page and twitter now up and running for STAR. If any member would like information on a special event or promotion putting on either please email Elaine.
- Treasurer’s report No change in account balance since last time reported.
- Town Centre manager report Follow Amanda on twitter tcmsandbach. Members should be getting email updates on events happening such as the comedy evenings in Oct/Nov/Dec in the Town Hall and film nights
- Mission Statement & Objectives – held over till next meeting 13. Membership evening at Waitrose Invitations currently being printed by Waitrose and will be distributed shortly to all businesses in Sandbach
- Christmas Marketing/Events separate email with more details to be sent out shortly by Secretary 15. Correspondence A thank you letter was received from Lynn and Ray organizers of the Sandbach Day of Dance (will be emailed out to members)
- DF said Sandbach Today being held at St Marys Church Hall on Saturday 15th September 9.30 a.m. – 1.00 p.m. Admission free. An event to promote voluntary groups, and on the market square, small business producers, The St Luke’s Hospice Bus, Sandbach Fire cadets and Sandbach Clean Team. An events calendar for Sept to Dec will be available to the public
- Cllr Moran informed that there would be a Cheshire East Scrutiny meeting on Tuesday 18th September 2012 2 p.m. at Westfields, Middlewich Road, Sandbach where the Alfresco Licence would be discussed. If anyone can go to the meeting they need to phone Katie Smith 01270 686456 ASAP. BM to send EK scrutiny report
- Brenda Naylor suggested we need to develop the unique nature of Sandbach
- DF said Benchmarking study has been carried out again this week where the footfall in town is measured at certain points for a certain length of time and will be compared with results gathered last year. A business survey is also being carried out, if you are asked please try and return the questionnaire.
- BM suggested an extraordinary meeting to vote on Muller Development and that STAR write to Cheshire East Council with the majority view of its membership EK/LS to draft letter
Meeting closed 9.00 p.m.