Minutes of STAR Meeting: Tuesday 8th February, 2011
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Tuesday 8th February, 2011. 5.30 P.M.
AT THE LITERARY INSTITUTE, WESLEY AVENUE
- Sarah reported that Jacqueline Wilson (Cheshire East Council) has confirmed a date of Wednesday 23rd March for Sandbach businesses wishing to participate in the Shop Doctor event. The Shop Doctor, Bill Smith, will meet up with 4/6 businesses in their own premises to deliver 1.5 hours of one to one advice, identifying issues and proposing solutions. He will then deliver an evening masterclass at the Ramada Encore on Crewe Business Park for up to 50 businesses, discussing the issues identified during his work with these businesses.
- No movement in monies since last meeting. We would like to welcome new member E-Signs to the group.
- Tuesday 22nd February 2011 Business Watch 5.30 – 5.45 p.m. start at Sandbach Enterprise Centre, Wesley Avenue. Invites are currently being distributed to all business in and around Sandbach. Please reply to Sarah at Burnell’s by 19th February giving numbers attending. Cheshire Police will advise on shoplifting and your rights. A short presentation by Sarah and Keith on STAR and refreshments served afterwards.
- A new group looking at "Sandbach Events" headed by the partnership held its first meeting on 17th January. Sandbach Events is a diary of activities that take place in Sandbach. The idea is to help organisers to understand other events taking place in our town so clashes can be avoided. A website and notice boards along with the press will publicise all events to maximise numbers. Next meeting scheduled for Tuesday 15th February 6.30 p.m.
- Ray Archer and Lynn Purcell talked to the group about their proposal to hold a Day of English Dance in Sandbach on Saturday 3rd September. They both live in Sandbach and are involved in the folk dancing community and want to provide local residents and visitors with the opportunity to see and learn about something typically English. Invites have already been sent out to several local teams of Morris dancers and it is proposed to have teams performing in several different spots around the town from 11.30 a.m. until 4.00 p.m. Sandbach High School and Sixth Form College have already given their permission to be used as a base for the day for changing facilities and parking. Wesley Avenue Church is providing afternoon tea for the teams of dancers late afternoon. There will then be a Ceilidh Dance at the Girls School for all the family 8 – 11.30 p.m. Discussions have already taken place with representatives from CEC, Sandbach Partnership, Sandbach Town Council and SHSSFC and it is hoped that this could become an annual event if the necessary funding is forthcoming.
- Sarah has emailed John Leach (Sandbach market manager) to ask if there is someone proactive from within the market traders who could work with STAR to help promote the market
- Sarah to ask David McGifford if he will set up a meeting with the lady who set up the shop local scheme in Macclesfield and surrounding area. Visit www.lovelocallife.co.uk. We would welcome views or knowledge of any other schemes to keep people using their local businesses
- The Royal Wedding Friday 29th April. The Sandbach Events committee will discuss at their next meeting. A possible High Street closure with a street party to involve all community bringing some food and a seat. Tables would be provided and hopefully a wet weather option inside. All the local pubs and cafes could benefit from the event. Road closure would need to be applied for within next 2 weeks. Carolyn Lowe has had offers of help from Lauren Scott (organizer of Sandbach Concert Series) and Hipswing entertainments
Dates for future Craft Markets are: Saturday 28th May, Saturday 25th June, Saturday 23rd July 2011. Keith to arrange some music for these dates. Sarah to delegate someone to organize the craft activities to take place at each market.
- The Annual General Meeting of S.TA.R. will be held on Tuesday 22nd March 2011 5.30 p.m. at SECE, Wesley Avenue. There will be a general meeting straight after this. Nominations are invited for the position of Chairman and Treasurer. Please email these to the Secretary at carolwilliams24 [at] talktalk [dot] net
Meeting closed at 7.15 p.m.