Minutes of STAR Meeting: Tuesday 3rd August 2010
3 August 2010
|(Adobe Acrobat PDF format)|
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Tuesday 3rd August 2010. 5.30 P.M.
AT SANDBACH ENTERPRISE CENTRE , WESLEY AVENUE
|Keith Castree (The Furniture Gallery)||Sarah Ellershaw (Burnell’s Ltd)|
|Cllr Carolyn Lowe||Cllr Barry Moran|
|Sue Brereton||Peter Nacson (Sandbach Round Table)|
|Nigel Howard (The Furniture Gallery)||Hazel Warr (La Casa Vecchia)|
|Carol Williams (Godfrey C. Williams & Son)|
|Dot Flint (Sandbach Partnership)||Cllr Barry Moran|
|Jen Kessey (good Taste Cake Design)||Larry Sharps (SECE)|
- Sarah welcomed Peter Nacson, Chairman of Sandbach Round Table to the meeting.
A Mrs Denise Cleaver sent an email via STAR website to say how much she had enjoyed the Midnight Pilgrims band and that the event was a credit to the town.
- Treasurer reported that Reg Shallcross had passed £267 from previous Chamber of Trade account onto STAR. Currently £646.00 in bank but we need more businesses on board. Carol to compile a list of businesses that need revisiting to get a commitment from them to join. Keith & Nigel have applied to CEC Recovery fund and Sandbach Town Council for funding. Barry suggested applying to some of the local Parish councils for a smaller grant. He also suggested a document be put together that can be used as a guide for future events, identifying roles required and a list that can be updated with those able to fulfil them.
- The walking treasure hunt around town is proving popular and lots of children have had application forms (available from Creature comforts and Strawberry Fields). Competition still running throughout school holidays so encourage your customers to pick up a copy)
- A craft fair is being organised for Saturday 28th August 10 am – 3 p.m. by Cllr Carolyn Lowe in partnership with CEC who will provide the stalls. An advert has been placed in all local papers and craft stall holders at Farmers Market have been asked. So far only 6 definite stalls, so will now be held only on the Square and no need for a road closure. More stalls needed so Peter Nacson will contact local churches to see if they want a charity stall. If anyone knows someone who might like a craft stall please email carolyndlowe [at] gmail [dot] com ASAP. Strawberry Fields will do a craft activity involving pebbles Free of charge. Another activity will be run at a small charge to cover cost of materials. Keith Haines will contact Keith Castree to let him know if there is a Folk band available to play. Keith Castree also to speak to Graham Alcock re a fairground roundabout ride.
- Fodens Band Concert Sunday 12th September 12 – 8.00 p.m. on Square. This is a FREE event hosted by CEC/Sandbach Town Council with an expected crowd of 200-300. See attached document for running order. Are businesses willing to open up? Are pubs and restaurants nearby available to serve food? Please let Sarah Ellershaw know if you are willing to open sarahlea89 [at] btinternet [dot] com Flyers advertising the event will be available soon. A competition ‘Build an orchestra’ will be run by STAR with participating shops having a cut out of a musical instrument that people have to find.
- Sarah suggested a Shopwatch type meeting be arranged for all traders in town, maybe at the Town Hall. Sarah to contact Police.
- Keith & Nigel attended the Christmas Light Switch on meeting organised by Graham Alcock. This will take place on Saturday 20th November from 4 p.m. with lights switched on at 5 p.m. Finish about 7 p.m. There will be road closure up the High Street from 4 p.m. for Food stalls (manned by local businesses), fairground attractions and Santa’s sleigh on Square.
Organised by STAR there will be a food and craft market on Square and High Street on Friday 3rd December 4 – 8 p.m. Further details to be arranged. Paul Minger from Alsager Round Table is a contact for generators.
- AOB. Sue Brereton has met with the electrician to look at the lights on the trees on the Square. These should be fixed by the end of the week. The electric point on the cenotaph is also working although awkward to access because of its low position.
Sue also provided an application form for any business requiring an Alfresco licence (see attached document). CEC are not currently enforcing this, but they will be in future.
Next meeting Tuesday 7th September 2010 at 5.30 p.m. at SECE.