Minutes of STAR Meeting: Tuesday 12th October 2010
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R.
Tuesday 12th Ocotber 2010. 5.30 P.M.
AT SANDBACH ENTERPRISE CENTRE , WESLEY AVENUE
|Sue Brereton||Cllr Carolyn Lowe|
|Keith Castree||Sarah Ellershaw|
|Cllr Gill Merry|
|Cllr Barry Moran||Nigel Howe|
|Pete Nacson (Sandbach Round Table)||Ruth Hindson|
|Lizzie Taylor||Carol Williams|
|Dot Flint (Sandbach Partnership)||Larry Sharps|
- Sarah has been looking at the press reports about Clone towns. Sandbach is classed as a Home town meaning we have a more diverse range of independent shops. Please click on attached link for more information. http://www.neweconomics.org/press-releases/clone-town-britain-2010-high-...
Cheshire East Council will be looking to carry out some sort of benchmarking for all the towns within its area.
TOWN PLAN next meeting TUESDAY 2ND NOVEMBER 2010 7 P.M. SANDBACH TOWN HALL Various focus groups have been set up already: Shops and Commerce will concentrate on such areas as: customer loyalty scheme, development of Junction 17, town branding, the Market, town marketing strategy, parking. If you would like to be part of this or any other focus group and have your say in how Sandbach moves forward please contact Carolyn Lowe or Sarah Ellershaw.
- Treasurer reported that currently £155.30 in bank. We would like to welcome 2 new members: Sandbach Carpet Centre and The Real Thing. Monies available through CEC scheme to help boost tourism in the region, closing date November 1st. Sue Brereton will fill in an application on behalf of STAR.
- The Shopwatch/Pubwatch presentation has been moved to take place late January 2011.
- Spooky Saturday Halloween event on Saturday 30th October 4 – 7 p.m. an event for children with DJ Night owl, willowcrafts, clay modelling, henna tattoos, Halloween crafts, face painting, Play bus, apple bobbing, pumpkin and fancy dress parade. Banners promoting will be put up soon and leaflets will be distributed to local shops to give out to customers. Pete Nacson to see if Round Table can help with apple bobbing. If anyone can offer any help on the night please email Sue Brereton or Dot Flint. It is hoped that refreshments will be offered by businesses in and around the Market Square.
- Christmas light switch on Saturday 20th November 4-7 p.m. meeting with Graham Alcock imminent so more information next meeting. In conjunction with the above there will be a window dressing competition for Sandbach businesses. Sarah to do a letter informing businesses.
- Late Night shopping Friday 3rd December 4- 8 p.m. Organised by Cllr Carolyn Lowe in conjunction with STAR, there will be a food and craft market on Square and up High Street. Children’s roundabout rides on the small common, choirs singing on cobbles and another outside the Town Hall. This is the same evening as the St Lukes Hospice “light up a life” event at the community garden (opposite the fire station) and the Hospice bus “Luke” with Santa on board will be present. Round Table will be available to marshall the event. A funding request has been put into Sandbach Town Council for monies for banners and a leaflet drop. It is hoped that businesses will support this event by staying open.
- Nigel to distribute a newsletter to local businesses with the dates of the above 3 events.
- AOB. Sue Brereton to look into Insurance costs for a yearly policy which should be cheaper than separate cover for individual events.
Kim Thornden from Linden Bail Hostel has contacted Sarah, who she has agreed to take part in the Liason group.
Dick Macauley from Sandbach Clean Team has information from a survey that was carried out amongst the towns businesses and is willing to come and speak to STAR about these.
Next meeting Wednesday 3rd November 2010 at 5.30 p.m. at SECE.