Minutes of STAR AGM: Tuesday 26th March 2013
SANDBACH TRADERS AND RETAILERS
MINUTES OF S.T.A.R. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Tuesday 26th March 2013. 5.30 p.m
AT S.E.C.E, WESDLEY AVE, SANDBACH
Present: Larry Sharps (Vice Chairman), Carol Williams (Secretary), Hazel Warr (treasurer), Shaun Lomas (market rep), Maggie Higgins (Lion Hotel), Cllr Barry Moran (CEC), Cllr Gill Merry (CEC), Carolyn Lowe (STC rep), Mike Benson (STC), Dot Flint (Sandbach Partnership), Brenda Naylor (Millgate House Educational)
Apologies: Ashley Gaunt, Amanda Wagg, Dave Skeels, Stuart Naylor, David McGifford
Minutes of the previous AGM held on 28th March 2012 were distributed and read. Larry proposed and Dot seconded that they were an accurate account of the meeting.
- Vice Chairman’s report . The past year has been a difficult one for businesses. A few businesses have closed but we still have a low empty shop rate compared with national average. We have had some new businesses open and interest from several in becoming STAR members. Elaine Kelly resigned as Chairman in autumn 2012 due to her business closing. STAR continue to support events held in town – Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations, Day of Dance, Christmas Market & Late night shopping. STAR came together in solidarity with other community groups and fought against inappropriate developments; marching through town to Westfields demonstrating against Old Mill Quarter development. We need to further improve communication and seek feedback from new and existing members.
Treasurer’s report Balance of £1168.65 in bank. Accounts have not yet been audited
HW to ask Guardian Accountancy to prepare accounts
Election of Officers no nominations received. An extraordinary meeting will have to be reconvened in a month time. If no officers step forward STAR will have to be closed down.
BN & SN meet with CW & HW to prepare letter asking for more members/officers.
BM speak with Waitrose & McDonalds
Sandbach Town Centre Manager report – Amanda sent following report:
- The TCM coffee mornings were well received and some new initiatives were discussed. Further TCM coffee mornings will be held in the future and it may become a regular thing
- On Tuesday 23 April at 5.30 and 7.00pm – informal sessions will be held at the SLI to discuss websites and social media. All traders are invited to attend and local businessman, Andrew Clarke, will be leading the presentations. These sessions will be useful for anyone who doesn’t have a website but would like one, would like to improve existing website, or wants to know more about social media. This is a free event and has been organised by the TCM
- The TCM is currently working on the investment brochure for Sandbach and she would like to remind traders that if they would like to submit a testimonial for the brochure saying why they trade in Sandbach and what is so good about it, to get in touch with Amanda. Also if anyone has any good photographs of the town that they would like to share that would be really useful
- Christmas Promotion – the report has been compiled and the TCM would like to present it in more detail at the next meeting
- Sandbach Town Council representative – see attached document (PDF, 85K) for full report
Correspondence John Jones of Saxon Cross Antiques has purchased a Defibrillator and wants businesses to participate in basic first aid training/CPR and Defibrillator use. Training will be on pre booked Mondays at Picchu’s Tapas between 5.15 – 7.15 p.m. Cost £5 Please ring John on 01270 753005/07765 253054 for more info.
A reply was received from Chairman of Christmas Lights committee – Dot Flint, answering STAR’s request that switch on Christmas lights be earlier than scheduled date of 30th November; after discussion the executive committee have decided to continue with the original plans and date.
- AOB No other business
- Next Meeting will be an Extraordinary General Meeting on Tuesday 30th April 2013 at 5.30 p.m. at Sandbach Enterprise Centre on Wesley Avenue.
Meeting closed at 6.40 p.m.