Constitution & Rules – Sandbach Traders and Retailers
The name of Sandbach traders and retailers shall be “STAR”
- Aims And Objectives
The aims and objects of STAR shall be:-
- STAR exists to act on behalf of its members at a collective and individual level,
- STAR will represent the business and commercial viewpoint to regulatory and statutory bodies,
- To watch the proceedings of the local authorities in order that proper regard may be paid to the consequences of decisions that affects the tourist industry, retailers, catering, industry and professionals,
- To endeavour to secure adequate representation on the governing bodies of the area,
- To enter into friendly co-operation with other organisations whose objects are the advancement of the amenities of the area?
- To discuss matters of mutual interest and to solidify such interest by united action where necessary.
- To support training and development which will enhance the activities of the members businesses.
- STAR will seek to develop the potential of Sandbach environmentally, socially and economically.
- To encourage members to provide a high standard of service.
- To achieve quick and effective communication between members.
- To develop strategies and action plans to promote and market Sandbach Town as a shopping, visitor and tourist destination.
- To develop and work with partnerships and other organisations to promote the aims/objectives of STAR
- To be an active member of Sandbach Partnership.
- Territorial Area
The area covered by the STAR is that of the boundaries of the Sandbach Town Council.
Full membership of STAR shall be open to all businesses (i.e. retailers, trade, professions, tourist outlets, caterers etc) whose income is derived from within the boundary.
Membership shall be registered via a completed application form.
Other bodies shall also have one non-voting and non fee paying member.
An honorary president shall be elected.
- Membership Fees
The membership fee shall be fixed at the Annual General Meeting and will become due each year on the first of April, except for those new members who have joined within the preceding 12 months and who have paid their first year’s membership fee. Members in arrears of ANY APPLICABLE subscriptions for six months will be deprived of membership.
There shall be 4 officers of STAR which will be the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer. There shall be up to 12 committee members. Any additional members can be co-opted onto the committee.
The officers and members of the committee may offer themselves for re-election without further nomination provided written notice of such intention is notified to the secretary at least fourteen days prior to the Annual General Meeting with two signatures of paid up members.
- Annual General Meeting
The Annual General Meeting of STAR shall be held not later than the 31st March each year.
General Meetings shall be held at least fourteen days prior to the AGM. Twenty one days notice is to be given of the AGM.
Voting at all meetings shall be by members attending, and each establishment shall be entitled to one vote per subscription paid.
A quorum shall be two officers and at least three members.
All subscriptions and other income shall be paid into the appointed Bank or Building Society Account. The reasonable expenses of the Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer incurred in carrying out their office shall be met from the funds. The parameters of such expenses shall be agreed in advance by the Committee
The financial year shall end on the 31st March each year.
Accounts shall be audited by an independent auditor chosen by the committee.
- Duties of Officers
THE CHAIRMAN shall preside at all meetings of the Chamber and shall perform such duties as ordinarily pertain to the office. (The Chairman and chairman of sub committees where votes are tied will have the casting vote.)
THE SECRETARY shall keep all records of meetings; issue all notices in respect of meetings and shall perform such duties as usually pertain to office of secretary including keeping up to date membership records, if no membership secretary.
THE TREASURER shall have custody of all STAR funds and account for them to the officers and full members on request. The annual accounts shall be presented to members at the AGM and shall perform other duties as would normally pertain to the office of Treasurer.
THE VICE CHAIRMAN shall deputize for the Chairman at their request and support the Chairman in performing his duties.
Working groups can be set up to promote the organisation and events, working with partners from other sectors.
Meetings are open to members. Guests may be invited by prior arrangement with the Chairman.
- Data Protection
Member’s details, in relation to the Application form are removed from our files no later than 12 months after expiry of membership.
- Alterations to the Rules
These rules or any part of them may be revised, rescinded or changed at the AGM or at an Extraordinary General Meeting and approved by a two third majority of those present. Fourteen days notice must be given of any proposed changes.
Any officer or member who brings the organisation into disrepute will appear before a group of representatives from the committee who will have the power to recommend expulsion from the committee or such actions as deemed appropriate.